Thursday, January 31, 2008

Alright. So I need some accountability. I picked up Guitar Hero last week. My two cousins have it and I made the mistake of playing it when I was home from Christmas their place. It's an addicting game. I just want to make sure that I don’t turn into this kid.

Now there’s the whole debate over spending time learning Guitar Hero vs learning to play an actual guitar. The way I see it, it’s no different than any other game. If it’s ok to stay inside and play Madden on your Xbox, why aren’t people up in arms claiming that those gamers should be outside actually playing football? Why are these people staying inside playing Halo when they could be running around shooting people in the face? My point? Just like everything else – it’s just a game people. Although I do totally agree to the fact that we spend too much time inside. But just like everything else, moderation is key. What’s interesting though is that after playing Guitar Hero for a week, I went to rehearsal for our Brass Ensemble at church and I saw a surprising improvement in how much easier it was to handle more complicated/faster runs on the trumpet. I think I have an idea!


Upon hearing that I got Guitar Hero, a friend at work ran across this picture. Maybe this is some kind of long-lost Heavy Metal twin.

Rock on twin Jonathan. Rock on.

3 comments:

Ryan said...

Hmmm, it's a stretch, but you do kinda look like the one on the right... =P

Christy said...

J--- WOW! You can become good--- even great-- just PLEASE!! don't end up like that kid-- WOW!!

Anonymous said...

JonnyB, I've had exactly the same experience with DDR. The really complicated patterns got so much easier playing jazz trumpet. Once to the point I just stepped back and went, "What the...holy crap."
On the other hand, DDR works off 200-500 calories an hour ;-)
Truth be told, I'd pick up Guitar hero, but I respect my GPA too much to beat the crud out of it.