Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Bracket

I love this time of year. No, not the start of spring - the NCAA Tourney! The sports fan that I am just loves to engulf myself in basketball to almost an overdose level. At what other time during the year would I care about a game between Stanford and Cornell (also known as the "GPA shootout")? What other reason would I have for watching CBS 4 hours straight?

How's your bracket? I've got my multiple brackets filled out and ready to go. But what seems to happen every year is that I play it safe and one of my choosen teams that I have going to the Championship game in a few weeks ends up loosing in the 2nd round a few days from now. As a result, the rounds to be played in the coming weeks on are wrong calls for me and I go down in the bracket ranks.

I guess there's a life lesson here. How many times have I told myself what will happen in the future? "I'm going to find a job here" "I'm going to meet this person" "I'm going to have my schedule empty so that I can do this or that". When in actuallity what happens is that a more recient event plays out, one of those distant plans ends up taking a different turn early on and a whole new path is laid. Don't get me wrong. This isn't a bad thing. But many times I psych myself up for the Championship when I need to instead focus on the 2nd round game.

So here's to enjoying sports as entertainment and treating life with respect. By the way, I've got UCLA winning it all.

1 comment:

JD said...

Hey, thanks for the comment about MLB EI on Free Previews. As a token of thanks, I have added a link to your fabulous blog on the Free Previews blog roll.